This is a from-scratch project created separately from the LibreOffice source.
The original project proposal and plan can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FZKM2I_5Fc2ENsLxlMmkWTo6GJaS8_QHiYEERIVxVfY/edit
Screenshot of the control panel
Screenshot of the browser Impress Remote
What you can do with it:
Please refer to the readme in the LibreSign repository for instructions on how to use this project: https://github.com/LibreOffice/libresign
Things to do:
The original project plan was rather modest, so some things were planned and added as we went along during the summer. We’ve also come up with features that might be added in the future. Here’s what’s left on the Kanban board,
If you have any suggestions for additions you can e-mail me or send in a pull request with changes to the WISHLIST in the main repository (https://github.com/LibreOffice/libresign).
I hope people will find a use for this and that someone might even add to it. I intend to fix any kind of problem with it in the future and would love to add any reasonable features which might be wanted.
It’s been a while since my last blog post, quite a bit has happened now and the project is starting to turn into a complete product.
Documentation has been written now, for using and developing the program. The main documentation is the readme in the main repo (https://github.com/LibreOffice/libresign) and there are readmes for the other three repos as well (see links above).
It should give some meat on the bones for anyone wanting to contribute and also instructions for anyone wanting to use this project. It should be as easy as running these commands in a terminal:
install python, pip pip install libresign libresign
The user interface for the web control panel was a bunch of buttons all summer, but now I’ve turned it into something somewhat nicer. It’s not my strongest point, but I’m trying to and want to make it fancy and responsive.
The last few weeks I also spent a lot of time on the browser Impress Remote which is pretty decent now. It installs as part of the libresign PyPI package but I’ll make it run as a standalone application as well, although I’m not sure if anyone would use it like that.
The new Impress Remote is run together with the LibreSign program and allows the user to access a website from which they can control the presentations. This is modelled after the existing Impress Remote and the goal is to get it as close as possible to it in terms of looks, functionality and ease of use. Although the JS Impress Remote is possibly easier to use since it doesn’t require any installation for the end user.
Here’s a video demo showing LibreSign running on a Raspberry Pi in “conference mode” with the JS Impress Remote on the laptop, not of great quality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQcZ5B0jgE0
What happened lately: the lid hinges of my laptop broke for the second time, so I decided to buy a new (used) laptop. As always I didn’t back up my files properly (installed new OS on same disk), so had some transition issues.
Apparently I hadn’t saved my username+password for the Wekan board, so I’ve created a new one:
This is the old one:
Also obviously doing the backend and so on for this.
Really need to record a video demo of LibreSign soon. It doesn’t look too bad if the presentation itself is well-made :)
I managed to sort out the blog not building. The problem was a case of incorrect syntax in the _config.yml on this site.
I passed the evaluation and I’ll be here for another two months by the looks of it. We’ve now got a working program which starts and control LibreOffice just like planned, however it is quite rough and the next two months will be spent making it smoother and better-looking mainly, I reckon. Apart from any other work my mentors might throw at me. :)
I’ve also run into problems with LibreOffice:
Right now I’m making some simple example presentations to use while testing the program, just to have something half-decent and realistic to look at. I have some polishing/ tweaking to do on the existing program as well.
I’m making progress with interfacing with LibreOffice, I can now start and run slideshows, which is what the project is about at its core.
I’ll update with a screenshot/ photos of the project running on my Raspberry Pi as soon as possible.
Below is my report for week 4
These last two weeks I’ve been stuck on integrating my program with LibreOffice (mentioned in previous report), but I’ve finally figured out how to get it to work and am now back on track. I’m about two days behind schedule but I’ll catch up now the problem’s solved.
Originally this was going to be done with Impress Remote Protocol, but URP/ UNO seemed like a better choice, so we agreed to go for that. The coming weeks (5-7) were supposed to be spent adding features and doing other work related to the IRP server, I’m not sure how valid this is now and will discuss it with my mentor.
Spent most days on
I finally managed to build LibreOffice for armv7 and I have LibreOfficeDev on my TV screen right now. There’s a link to build instructions above and I’ll update it with the autogen flags I used. They’re somewhat arbitrary but yeah.
Now the stage is set for this week’s/ next week’s work of controlling LibreOffice from Python, and also the additions needed in LO’s source code to actually make things work properly.
P.S. I am aware that this site is incredibly ugly, I’ll fix it soon.
Report Week 1
Project repository: https://github.com/rptr/libresign